By George Capsis
What does it mean for the readers of WestView that 35-year-old Corey Johnson will, on January 4th, become the Speaker of the New York City Council, letting slide through his guiding fingers a City budget of $86 billion? He will be the second-most powerful man in City government.
What do we really need here in the West Village now that, with Corey in power, we have a very good chance of getting?
- I want a Cath Lab in the Northwell Urgent Care Center on 13th Street and 7th Avenue to release a blood clot in the minutes of life remaining during a heart attack.
- The elderly living in rent-stabilized apartments need protection from real estate tax-harassed landlords trying to oust them in order to get market-rate rents.
- I want the City to buy a few pages of public information in WestView so community newspapers can stay alive.
- For graduating students from all over the world who want to live in the Village, I want Corey to build affordable apartments on the parking lots of Fulton Housing.
- I also want Corey to help us get a City grant for Music at St. Veronica and make it free for senior citizens forever and ever.Do you have a concern or a wish for legislation that you want Corey to achieve? Send it to WestView. We will print it and send it on to Corey for his, “Yeah, sure…”