By Toby Cox
Greetings from Three Lives & Company! We’ve said goodbye to 2016, but we’d like to share our favorite reads of the year. Without further ado, check out our list below. We hope your 2017 reading is off to a good start!
If you need two more reasons to look forward to March, Bill Hayes will be reading from his new book Insomniac City: New York, Oliver, and Me on Tuesday, March 7th at 7:00pm and Melissa Clark will be at the bookstore on Sunday, March 12th from 12:00pm to 1:00pm to sign copies of her new cookbook Dinner: Changing the Game and to chat with folks about, well, dinner! Please join us!
Our Favorite Books of 2016
- The Story of a Brief Marriage, By Anuk Arudpragasam (Flatiron)
- Moonglow, By Michael Chabon (Harper)
- LaRose, By Louise Erdrich (Harper)
- Here I Am, By Jonathan Safran Foer (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)
- Imagine Me Gone, By Adam Haslett (Little, Brown)
- The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye,
By Sonny Liew (Pantheon)
- The Golden Age, By Joan London
- The Association of Small Bombs,
By Karan Mahajan (Penguin)
- A Meal in Winter, By Hubert Mingarelli (New Press)
- Christodora, By Tim Murphy (Grove)
- Thomas Jefferson Dreams of Sally Hemings, By Stephen O’Connor (Viking)
- Commonwealth, By Ann Patchett (Harper)
- Grief is the Thing with Feathers, By Max Porter (Graywolf)
- Sergio Y., By Alexandre Vidal Porto (Europa)
- Memoirs of a Polar Bear, By Yoko Tawada (New Directions)
- SPQR, By Mary Beard (Liveright)
- The Selfishness of Others, By Kristin Dombek (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)
- How to Survive a Plague, By David France (Knopf)
- The Great Derangement, By Amitav Ghosh (University of Chicago)
- Negroland, By Margo Jefferson (Vintage)
- The Return, By Hisham Matar (Random House)
- We Are Not Such Things, By Justine van der Leun (Spiegel & Grau)
- Black Flags, By Joby Warrick (Anchor)
We specialize in special orders. In our small shop, it’s always a challenge to find room for all the new, notable, and exciting books. So, if you’d like a book that we don’t have on hand, we are always happy to order it for you. We place orders almost daily and the usual turnaround time for a special order is one or two business days. For some books it may take longer, but we’ll be sure to discuss the particulars with you before we place an order. Additionally, we can ship books to you anywhere within the United States via UPS Ground. Give us a call, send us an email, or stop in any time.
This is a great gift for birthdays, anniversaries, special occasions, or for yourself—just because! You tell us what you or your friend, loved one, neighbor, mailman, etc. likes to read, and we ship that person a hand-selected title at the beginning of each month.
We also offer gift certificates, which you may purchase in any amount.
Three Lives & Company Booksellers
154 West 10th Street, New York, NY 10014
Monday and Tuesday: 12:00pm to 8:00pm
Wednesday to Saturday: 11:00am to 8:30pm
Sunday: 12:00pm to 7:00pm