By Catherine M. Perebinossoff
- The Office of Strategic Services, the OSS (1942–1945), the-C.I.A.-in-training-wheels, had a nickname. What was it?
- (a) Name a gangster who worked for the OSS. 2(b) Name a movie director who worked for the OSS.
- Who said, when approached with the proposal for an underground transit system in New York City, “Preposterous! The people of New York will never go into a hole in the ground to ride to work and to their homes.”
- Name one of America’s oldest “watering places”, filled with meandering streets and numerous well-kept Victorian homes and hotels.
- Name the inventor of a 14-foot cigar-shaped submarine, using electrical power for propulsion under water and an internal combustion engine for surface propulsion.
- Radio’s impact on the country became indelible with the first broadcast of a World Services game from ___________ ______ (city and state). The radio station’s call letters were ___ and the year of the broadcast was _____.
- ____________ is the only state that has “U.S.A.” on its automobile license plates.
- Who said, “The critics built nothing.”?
- NYC’s ____________ ____________ (two words) airport—later LaGuardia—was begun in ____________ (year).
- After a very brief career as a civil engineer (which he pursued to please his father), ____________ ____________ (first and last name) became a fashion designer, known for his ________ (one word) designs.
- Who is the film director who studied Chemical Engineering and earned a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from Caltech (before it was called Caltech) in 1918?
- Who said, “If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?”?
- Lady ______ (one word) said, “________ (first name), if I were married to you, I’d put __________ (one word) in your coffee.” ___________ ___________ (first and last names) said, “Nancy, if you were my _____ (one word), _______ _______ _______ (three words.)
- Who said, “If I could control Hollywood, I could control the world.”? (Another version differs slightly: “If I could control Hollywood, I could rule the world.”)